Close-Up Photography with the Sony A9 + FE 55mm F/1.8

So this is a bit of a joke.  The FE 55mm is in no way a macro lens.  Its closest focus is about a foot away and so with a 55mm focal length it’s basically a normal size image.  The twist is that because the A9 allows autofocus in a magnified view you can get incredibly exact focus on small things like insects from that 12 inches away and then you can crop the image to look like a macro shot.  What follows is a series of images followed by a crop of the focal point.  I found it pretty easy to get even hyperactive bugs like the bees and wasps to end up in focus.  This was my first day with the camera. These photos are just jpgs. I don’t have the latest Lightroom rev that works with A9 files so these are rough pictures and won’t be reworked to their fullest potential.  Tomorrow I’ll see if I can do anything more sensible with it.

Full image

Oldest
Newest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
Mr. Coffee
Mr. Coffee
2 years ago

Were you able to snap any in flight? I’ve seen some You Tubes of the tracking autofocus at 1/32000s which was impressive, but that was a pro shooting. For guys like you an me it might not be as easy. OK, guys like me…

Nice start!

Tom Dulaney
2 years ago

I just bought a Sony FE2.8/90 macro lens. I’d bet that this lens would result in world class macro shots using the A99. The sharpness and detail is incredible, even using my A6300

Tom Dulaney
2 years ago

You’re correct about the autofocus, at least when using native lenses. My “walkaround” lens for my 6300 is a Zeiss 16-70 f4.0. Using that, focus is instant and accurate.

I tried to like to this site before but without success.

Tom Dulaney
2 years ago

“I laughed when I saw the fifty trillion dollar Zimbabwean note. That encapsulates the world we live in, in a nutshell.” $50 trillion? That’s peanuts, that was a $100 trillion dollar bill! If you’re a central banker and you need to start using engineering notation to refer to your printed bills, as in a 10^14th dollar bill, it is time to start suspecting the efficacy of your policies. As an irony of almost historic proportions, the $100 trillion Zimbabwean bills that I bought 9-10 years ago would have been one of my all-time best investments if I hadn’t have given… Read more »

Tom Dulaney
2 years ago

Whoops! Didn’t remember that I has a picture of a $5 x 10^13th dollar Zimbabwean bill on Flickr. Here’s the full $10^14th, the largest denomination bill ever printed on the planet. And you have to admit that it would require a host of mental qualities, not the least of which would be a sense of humor, to be responsible for such a printing. Why stop there? Go for a googleplex! https://www.flickr.com/photos/tomd77/4523472280/in/album-72157603959095587/

Tom Dulaney
2 years ago
Reply to  photog

“Especially bullets”

Unless, of course, the people have been disarmed for their safety.

Tom Dulaney
2 years ago

Trying to post a picture to see if it will work———

Would love your thoughts, please comment.x
x