21SEP2017 Update

So today is the last full day of summer.  Gahhh!  The horror begins soon so it’s time to have fun while we can.  Saturday I’ll have my two older grandsons over for a Lord of the Rings marathon.  I think the extended version comes to about eleven hours.  Breaking it up with grilled cheese sandwiches for them and corned beef and swiss for me, it will be a full day.  Dinner will be another fan favorite spaghetti and meat balls.  Camera Girl will do the cooking but abstain from the cinema.  She’s a Tolkien agnostic, heaven help her.

As anyone who faithfully reads my reviews knows I consider Justified the most consistently well written and actualized tv drama I’ve ever seen.  I have a theory that it’s because the source material is much better than that of the typical (or even superior) tv-show.  So, I’m putting it to the test.

Right now, I’m reading Elmore Leonard’s Raylan Givens novels and short stories.  I read the short story “Fire in the Hole” that was the basis for the first episode of Justified.  The other stories in the collection (of the same name) were all very good too.  Leonard has an enormous reputation as one of the most popular crime writers.  And he has had over twenty of his books made into movies (not counting the tv series Justified).  Based on all that I figure I’ll find out what all the hype is about.  So, I want to see how I like his stuff.  So far, I’m impressed.

The political scene continues to boil like the spaghetti pot I’ll be involved with on Saturday.  Trump continues to engage all important events in his typical iconic and bombastic style.  Of course, you’d have to be made of stone not to be nervous about all the various balls in the air.  But I’ve learned to give Trump some time to get things done in his own way.  After all he is herding particularly annoying cats (and rats).  The right-wing folks are going through some growing pains on the various sites.  Hopefully it’ll sort itself out sooner than later.  I take a sort of neutral position on these things and wait to see how things are settled.

On the photography front I’ve added the ability to embed photos in the comments so go ahead if something in a post inspires a photo of your own.  The plug-in that makes this possible has the following instructions:

This plugin embeds image links in comments with the img tag so the images are visible in your comment timeline.

Image formats supported:

1. .jpg
  2. .gif
  3. .png

I’m not an expert on this computer stuff so I’ll do my best to get things to work but have patience if there are problems.

On the review front, I’m going to write something on my recent toe-dip into anime.  In addition to my recent viewing of Cowboy Bebop I watched Ghost in the Shell 2.0.  I’ll share my thoughts.

Other film ideas, I rented the second John Wick film and I’ll put together my thoughts on both films after watching it, maybe this weekend.

I haven’t decided what sf&f book to read next.  Suggestions are always welcome.

17 thoughts on “21SEP2017 Update

• September 27, 2017 at 6:36 pm

Just copied the link address and it’s the header on the flickr page where this picture resides. I’ll try it below.

BTW: I finally pulled the trigger and will be picking up a Sony A7rii tomorrow. The only dedicated FE lens that I have now is a 90mm f2.8 macro but I’m covered up with good A mount lenses and an LEA4 adaptor. That will have to do until I get a G Master 24-70 f2.8, probably the best “walking around” lens for this camera. Also hoping Sigma soon comes up with some superb native FE lenses. In the meantime, I’ll probably, for general purpose, use an older A mount well regarded Minolta 28-75 f 2.8. I’ve got thousands of stellar pictures from my A850 using this lens. The G Master lens that I want is around $2200. Gee, Master, there are some of us who have to work an entire day to make that much money! Heh!

Okay, after that, here’s my latest attempt to post a picture, not holding my breath or anything—- If successful, the base shot came from the US Naval Air Museum in Pensacola, FL, of a 60’s and 70’s vintage A7 Corsair with a little photoshop work.

• September 27, 2017 at 7:35 pm

Looks like you got that worked out. Good. Congrats on the A7R II. That’s gonna be a fun camera. The Corvair is very great. How did you do the contrast from light to dark?

• September 27, 2017 at 9:17 pm

“How did you do the contrast from light to dark?”

That’s a Photoshop gradient adjustment layer with a selected image from another photo applied over.

• September 27, 2017 at 11:22 pm

It’s good. Very striking.

• September 27, 2017 at 7:35 pm

That worked.

• September 29, 2017 at 7:53 pm

Why not a dedicated place in photography where those so inclined can post photos without intrusion?

• September 29, 2017 at 8:22 pm

Can you explain or show an example of this?

• October 6, 2017 at 9:43 pm

“Can you explain or show an example of this?” Maybe just an open post where we could post the occasional shot without crashing your blog.

BTW: Maybe a really good photo opp for me this coming Sunday AM. I live on the Gulf Coast around 100 miles east of the predicted Cat 1 hurricane hit. Assuming the track remains steady and the hurricane doesn’t strengthen past Cat 1, the weather around here will get “interesting” but not downright dangerous this Sunday AM for about 4-5 hours. Predicted winds will be around 60 MPH from the south with stronger gusts and seas to be in the 17 foot range. (BTW, I had planned a mackerel fishing trip into the Gulf this weekend. Have my boat cleaned up and ready to go. Maybe next week). At any rate, I’m going to see if I can make it to the beach, I love shooting a stormy sea. Hope my power doesn’t get knocked out. I have only enough generator fuel for around 2 days.

Crossing the 4-mile-long + bay bridges could be interesting in 60-70 MPH winds.

• October 7, 2017 at 10:09 am

“Maybe just an open post where we could post the occasional shot without crashing your blog.” Yes I can do that. I’ll let you know when I have it set up.
      About that photo op, will you be looking for crashing surf? Or things like moored boats tossing around? That could be interesting to be working around! But you folks down there are used to that kind of weather. We don’t get much of that up here. Just endless snow.
      Too bad about the fishing trip, that sounds like fun. I haven’t been salt water fishing in twenty years. I used to go out on Long Island Sound with my father-in-law. That was good stuff.

• October 7, 2017 at 11:27 am

“Too bad about the fishing trip, that sounds like fun.”

Oh yes.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/pu9Djd][img]https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2943/15414753972_0d66ddfe81_b.jpg[/img][/url][url=https://flic.kr/p/pu9Djd]Porpoise[/url] by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/tomd77/]Tom[/url], on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/nSRvV6][img]https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3871/14358978051_1b2f0d8c62_b.jpg[/img][/url][url=https://flic.kr/p/nSRvV6]Blood on the High Seas[/url] by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/tomd77/]Tom[/url], on Flickr

• October 7, 2017 at 2:59 pm

Tom:
    Take a look on the photography forum I just set up. I posted some instructions I found for this kind of message board and then tried to follow the posting instructions for your links. My success was mixed. But I was able to view the dolphin shot and that huge monster you landed. Excellent. That must have been a good day on the water.