Sony A7S III rumor

Sony Alpha Rumors has an SR4 rumor for the A7SIII arriving next week.

(SR4) Sony A7sIII (or A9s) to be announced on October 18. It is a Full Frame GH5 killer?

Now that’s a camera I’m definitely interested in. They say it will have the auto focus of the A9. If that’s the case and it isn’t $5grand I have a feeling I’ll be getting it before Christmas (but let’s call it a Christmas gift). Now, SAR has been wrong before (oh brother have they) but I think they have it right this time. For you Sony fans Christmas may be coming early after all.

4 thoughts on “Sony A7S III rumor

• October 17, 2017 at 6:55 am

Christmas for me came in September when I got an A7RII though it will take me a while to build a glass collection.

Why are you fixated on the A7S? I thought that the type was principally focused to low light shooting and videography.

My A7RII does well at high ISO compared to most of the camera world. Last weekend, I was at a railroad museum in the Atlanta area in which the lighting conditions were difficult to say the least. Would have been flash conditions with very limited distances 99% of the cameras out there. My A7 was happy in A priority set at 5.6 and above and kept the shutter at over 1/100th in very dim situations, shooting beautiful and seemingly well illuminated shots at whatever ISO was required. In any previous camera I’ve used, the ISO noise would have made the shots unusable.

So the A7RII has all the low light capability that I, personally, require. Admittedly, the S model beats the R model hands down in low light. Plus, the R is has what is, admittedly arguably, the best image quality on the planet with 43 MP quality.

I intend to keep my A6300 as a small, and incredibly capable, carry around to keep with me at almost all times. Can’t do that with the much larger and expensive, especially with the best lenses, A7RII.

• October 17, 2017 at 7:34 am

Well my A7S is an artifact of the Sony camera rollout and my need for clean ISO 6400. It was the first of the Sony mirrorless cameras capable of that. This capability has continued into the later cameras but I’ve been waiting for an upgrade in the full-frame autofocus. The A9 has what I want in autofocus. But I really don’t need 20 fps and I’m not crazy about the price tag. So I may be trading the A7S in shortly for an A7III. I’d like to keep the resolution to about 25 megapixels but it’s not a deal breaker. I hear something is brewing out there but I’ve learned enough about Sony to know I’m better off waiting a while to see if any oddball problems crop up in a release. My son uses the Sony APS-C camera and likes the extra reach the crop factor gives him. He does a lot of hiking and rafting and needs something light and portable to bring along for wildlife shots. So I get the advantages of the APS-C. I’ll probably sell off the A7S but I do like its astrophotography (well Milky Way shots) capability. Damn thing can see in the dark.

• October 18, 2017 at 9:04 pm

My 6300 with it’s “carry around” lens, a Zeiss 16-70 f4.0, is not exactly tiny but is small and light enough that you can have with you in almost all situations. And it is DEFINITELY capable. Install my Sigma 30mm f2.8 (or the kit lens) and it is easily pocketable.

Nobody will call an A7RII with a G Master lens “pocketable”

• October 18, 2017 at 10:18 pm

“I get perfectly usable ISO 6400 with both my A6300 and A7RII. The auto focus with the 6300 is stunning but I don’t have the experience with the A7 to make that statement.”
    You’ve got the good auto-focus and good high ISO performance of the Mark II and later lines. But you have no idea how terrible the auto-focus of the A7S is. It has no phase detect pixels at all. All it has is contrast detect which is like the NEX 5N autofocus, slow and really poor. Basically I manual focus using the magnify mode. Very primitive.

“I just ordered, but don’t yet have, a G Master 24-70, which is supposedly the Sony lens to die for. Oh, but I’m looking forward to that!” I hear that’s a great lens and it’s nice having the wide side available like that.

“There’s an irony to the A7R series with the truly fine collection of Sony, Zeiss and Sigma lenses dedicated. The irony is that all the truly good lenses are large, negating what I thought was the biggest advantage of the mirrorless system.
    Nobody will call an A7RII with a G Master lens “pocketable””

It’s a trade off for sure. My son has one of the 6000 series cameras for his hiking and kayaking but sometimes he goes even smaller and uses one of the Olympus micro 4/3 cameras. They have extremely small lenses but the sensor is so small that high ISO becomes a problem (noise).

“I know that it is extremely politically incorrect to a lot of you but I live in the south and have had a concealed weapons license for a couple of decades. (“An armed society is a polite society”-Robert Heinlien) There has been a continuing debate about the best concealed pistol to have but I like the adage that the best pistol to purchase is the one that you are most likely to have with you when the need arises. The parallel is obvious.”

Tom, that’s the beauty of having my own photography website. Nobody who has a problem with the 2nd Amendment is gonna get much support here. I have no problem with gun topics. We’re responsible grownups and it’s our constitutional right to own them and talk about them. Someone doesn’t like that probably should go to a lefty site. There are plenty of them to choose from.

And as far as the best camera being the one you’re carrying, agreed. I sometimes wish I had my camera mounted on the outside of my truck with a remote trigger. There are some really amazing cloud formations I see from the highway but pulling over is frowned upon by local law enforcement here.

“Nonetheless, the sheer ability of the A7RII with native high-end glass is so attractive that I can’t resist.”

I’ve seen the files that come off that sensor and they are amazing. And there’s so much room for cropping and adjustment. Sony probably has the best sensors in the industry. Any photographer who can’t get good images from that hardware is doing something wrong.