SonyAlphaRumors (Almost) Got it Right

So, even though it wasn’t the A7 III or the A7S III it was an A7 series camera that came out yesterday.  And even though I really don’t need 42 megapixels for my file size I must say I am sorely tempted to buy this sucker.  It’s coming out at the end of November so I’ll pay attention to the reviews (and maybe rent it first to make sure I’m a good fit for it).  Basically, they’ve taken the A7R II and added a lot of the good stuff from the A9 to it.  It doesn’t have the enormous AF coverage that the A9 has but the AF capability is said to be close to the A9 performance.  It’s got a 10 fps mechanical shutter, dual card slots, enhanced high ISO capability, enhanced auto-focus modes, larger buffer, improved video options, a joystick, touchscreen AF placement and a lot of other fantabulous stuff.  It sounds pretty compelling.  Well, I was hoping for the 24 megapixel sensor of the A9 in a slightly less capable package for a lot smaller price tag but this A7R III checks every other box.  Could this be photog’s next camera?  I wouldn’t bet against it.  Stay tuned friends.  I’ll share my thoughts as the reviews come in but it sounds really interesting.

8 thoughts on “SonyAlphaRumors (Almost) Got it Right

• October 29, 2017 at 9:18 am

I suspect that I’m responsible for the RIII intro since I just bough an RII. I think Sony has it in for me, they introduced the A6500 about a month after I traded my 6000 for a 6300.

For me, the A7 series Achilles heel is the sheer size, mass and cost of dedicated FE lenses. I’ve got two, a Sony 90mm f2.8 macro G series and a Sont 24-70 f2.8 G Master. The combined cost was about $3400 but, when storing the lenses, I have to keep them separated. This because the combined mass would, like two neutron stars, form a black hole and ultimately destroy our solar system. Well, maybe a slight exaggeration.

Except for a preplanned shoot, the camera that I have with me is my A6300 that is small enough to fit in the console of my vehicles or even a pocket. The A7R body isn’t much larger than the 6300 and I’ve found that the much smaller crop sensor lenses that I have for the 6300 take some pretty nice shots from the A7. There’s a penalty though, my 43 MP sensor is reduced to 16 MP.

Maybe, one of the upcoming Sigma lenses will offer something like a FE prime, around 40mm that will be small enough to allow casual carry.

• October 29, 2017 at 10:46 am

You know, if they wanted people to capitalize on this rapid upgrade schedule they should have a trade in program where you pay a fee each year and get to trade in your camera for the newer model at a reasonable price point. Otherwise, the only approach that I can understand is wait until the camera that has all the features I want appears and then wait six months to a year to allow the price to settle down a little. And then I figure I shouldn’t even think about their new offerings until at least two versions have come and gone. Otherwise, I feel like I’m on a merry-go-round where gear lust is the object and photography doesn’t even come into play.

As far as the neutron star situation, I understand your fear, but did you see that report about the neutron star collision that was recently observed? The measurements they took showed that the collision produced and ejected large quantities of GOLD!!!! You might want to reconsider your lens storage practices.

Adobe has decided to make Lightroom a subscription (cloud) only product going forward. I’m looking around for alternatives. Have you used any of the other non-destructive raw photo cataloging/adjusting software?

• October 29, 2017 at 11:39 am

Don’t get me started on Adobe. I was perfectly happy with my copy of PS 6 but for Adobe in their avaricious wisdom wouldn’t allow updates to Camera RAW to allow it to read files from any camera more recent than around 2015. The workaround was a PIA but it is Camera RAW that is the must-have, IMHO.

I appreciate the tip on creating gold from the gravitational merger of Sony lenses but that would require storing the lenses several light years away to keep me from being rendered into random quarks by such an energetic event. Transportation costs would be prohibitive, approaching that of purchasing the lenses in the first place.

• October 29, 2017 at 12:57 pm

Yeah, I’ve just about had it with Adobe. I’m tired of every Tom, Dick and Harry needing access to my computer’s hard drive.
      Well that’s a good point about the quark rendering. I guess if these astronomers are going show some return on our government scientific research funding they should start figuring out how to detect enormous chunks of neutron-star-collision-ejection-gold. I’d be willing to donate up to $5 to a kickstarter to fund a gold asteroid capture mission. I’d love to have a 1000 lb nugget of gold to keep in my living room as a conversation piece. Or platinum. That would be good too.

• October 29, 2017 at 2:26 pm

“I guess if these astronomers are going show some return on our government scientific research funding they should start figuring out how to detect enormous chunks of neutron-star-collision-ejection-gold.”

How ’bout a really big catcher’s mitt at L5?

• October 29, 2017 at 2:34 pm

Exactly. A space program that the American public can get involved in. Instead of watching all those asteroids near miss us, figure out ahead of time how to divert them into hitting the moon. One of them is bound to be full of gold. And even if they’re not, it’ll be a hell of a fire works display when they crash. Make NASA great again!

• October 29, 2017 at 3:13 pm

I thought that one of the first actions of the Obama administration was to retask NASA as a Muslim outreach agency. Bringing, as a byproduct, an entirely new level to the phrase, “non sequitur” .

Cosmic bumper cars, huh? I like it. If there’s some way to turn it into a sport and bet on it, it’s a sure fire winner!

• October 29, 2017 at 5:33 pm

Cosmic Bumper Cars? Better copyright that before Elon Musk steals it. I grew up reading about asteroid prospectors and I figured by now someone would have done something about it by now. But I think things might finally be coming around.