Sony Just Announced My New Camera – A7 III

I was just watching he Sony presentation on the A7III. Turns out it will have the same coverage and AF point make-up as the A9.  Sony did the one thing that would guarantee I’d buy their camera.  That’s all I need.  When it comes out in April I’ll be celebrating spring in style.  Thank you Sony.

6 thoughts on “Sony Just Announced My New Camera – A7 III

• February 27, 2018 at 6:59 pm

I read about the camera, seem to be plenty appealing. Looks to be based more on the A9 than A7.

• February 27, 2018 at 7:17 pm

It is surprising that they used the same AF system. My only thought is they are trying to steal a march on Canikon which are supposed to unveil their competing mirrorless systems this year. I saw that Sigma added an e-mount option to all 11 of their “Art Series” lenses. These are fast lenses going from 14mm to 135mm. They’re supposed to be good lenses but I’d rather they had adapted their 150 – 600 zoom. A decent quality 600mm that autofocused would be good for wildlife, aircraft and sports stuff.

• March 6, 2018 at 6:57 pm

Been reading and watching vids on the A7III and note that most of the camera world seems to be flat out ecstatic about the camera. I found myself wishing that I had passed on my A7RII last fall and waited for this thing. As to the sensor resolution difference, I lived with an A850 for years and never, ever felt that I just had to have more than 24 MP. Not to mention that a significant proportion of my personal all time favorite shots were taken with my much older 12 MP A700. Certain aspects of those older camera can’t hold a candle to the newer generations: auto focus speed and accuracy, eye focus, low light capability. Can’t say enough about the tilt screens that allow me to get shots with the camera in all sorts of positions without the bodily contortions that are so much harder as I age.

The combination of the A7III and the superb and much cheaper Sigma Art lenses can put you close to the pinnacle of photo equipment ability for significantly less than just a few months ago.

• March 6, 2018 at 7:31 pm

To be fair the usual suspects are already throwing stones because of an artifact of the AF pixel grid forming an artifact under conditions of dark room plus very powerful backlighting conditions. And I did hear Tony Northrup say that the A7R III has better low light auto-focus capability. So there are always trade-offs. But I know what you mean about 24 mpixel in the A850. I was always satisfied with the resolution. And even my 12 mpixel A7S is mostly good enough unless I really need to crop (which unfortunately happens a few times with wildlife, like my poor mallard).

• March 22, 2018 at 7:10 pm

A little photography news from the far south: The wife approached me yesterday afternoon and told me that she has somehow managed to destroy, beyond redemption, her camera body and one of the lenses that I had bought for her. Her camera body is/was a Samsung NX500 that was capable of fantastic image quality. The lens was a well regarded Samsung 60mm f2.8 macro, thank God it wasn’t the Samsung 16-50 f 2.0 that was new as of Christmas.

Susan wants another NX series Samsung but Samsung has exited the camera market (excepting phones of course) effective around around a year+ ago. As a testament to the Samsung equipment, prices on the remaining stuff has appreciated smartly.

I think that while it makes sense to stay in with an out-of-production camera and lens system in which you already invested and you really like and has all the qualities that you want, it’s a totally different proposition to buy into that system. To replace the broken gear would cost in the $1500 range.

Seems so much more logical to buy a Sony A7III for her, maybe with a “kit” lens and let her use my collection of Sony E-mount lenses and A mounts with a adaptor. Buying into two different type mount lens collections just doesn’t work given a choice. Also, her 16-50 f2.0 is worth over $800 on ebay, 40% of the cost of the A7III.

I must have watched over 50 reviews of the A7III, with even slightly negative comments showing rarely and mixed sparsely in a tsunami of ecstatic reviews about an industry wide game changing camera.

So it looks like Susan has a Sony in her future. If she starts dropping A7’s with $2000+ G Master or Sigma Art lenses, a Nikon Kool Pix is in her more distant future.

In the meantime, she has possession of my Sony a6300 which has been my go to and “carry around” camera for several years. No matter where I am, the 6300 has been there or close. Despite the purchase of my A7RII and the associated megabuck lenses, the 6300 and it’s Zeiss zoom seems to be the origin of 60% of my “keeper ” shots. I want the 6300 back. The A7R and the highly rated and HUGE megabuck lenses really have it going in a planned shoot but if you are going to have only one camera, compact and light is the way to go.

Isn’t rationalization wonderful?

• March 22, 2018 at 7:28 pm

Good Lord! You’re as bad as I am. I told Camera Girl that I’d be saving money by getting the A7 III because the better autofocus would save millions in preventing the need for repeat vacations to faraway places to reshoot bad shots. There must be a Sony Anonymous society out there somewhere.