Science fiction writer L. Sprague de Camp has been quoted as having said “It does not pay a prophet to be too specific.” He was right. Seeing into the future is a fool’s errand. But it is also what we have to do every day of our lives. And the farther into the future you can see the more successful you will be.
Here at Orion’s Cold Fire, prognostication is a scientific endeavor utilizing all the latest technology and the most powerful data crunching systems to make our forecasts the envy of Nostradamus. Sure.
We live on the knife’s edge. Everything we’ve seen in the last few years shows us that the fate of the United States and indeed the world is balanced on a teetering point and the smallest breath of wind has the capacity to save us, at least temporarily, or tumble us into the abyss. Sucks to be us.
Lately I have been trying to figure out what are the most likely directions the future may take. Let me number them here.
- The clearest and in fact, the most likely future is the complete victory of progressivism. Under this scenario, political control of the Unites States and also the rest of Western civilization shifts irreversibly to the Left. All the tenets of progressivism, feminism, LGBTQ orthodoxy, anti-white quota legislation and socialist economics prevail. Free speech, gun rights and freedom of religion are abolished. An all-powerful, all pervasive state control settles over the lives of the citizenry. Basically slavery. I think this has a very good likelihood of occurring. And the method will be a gradual tightening of all the policies that will lead to this endpoint. It won’t be necessary to legislate any of these things abruptly. Gradual is better. How’s that for grim?
- Another possibility I can think of is a branch off of the first scenario. The progressives win a big election. They start initiating their agenda and someone does something. Let’s call it a revolt. Some kind of resistance that incorporates individuals taking action that becomes a rallying point for local or state government action. This grows into a larger movement and this requires a response by the Federal government. To make this a distinct case from scenario 1, we have to assume that it isn’t suppressed and leads to a split in the country. At least two distinct geographic entities would occupy what is now the United States. For this scenario let us pick the case that a successful path forward is arranged and both (or more) daughter states move forward along independent paths with more or less cooperation between them.
- The third possibility and the least likely scenario is that the progressives lose. Somehow President Trump successfully manages to turn the American project back into the direction of freedom and sanity and reasonable men follow him in reversing the outrages of the last half century and putting us back on the path of freedom and healthy social relations. This is my idea of the happy ending.
- The fourth scenario is a full-scale civil war of the type seen in Yugoslavia. If this occurs, I assume the likeliest outcome is a divided country with an eventual armistice and population shifts to allow people to choose between two very polarized and hostile camps. This would be an extreme version of Option 2.
- In option 5 our enemies around the world see our weakness and division and nuke us into oblivion. This is also a slightly less likely scenario but far from improbable.
I’m sure there are several other cases that I’ve neglected. If you have your own idea for a different version feel free to leave it in the attached poll or comments.