The ZMan has a post today ( The Narcotic of Minor Celebrity ), that should be of interest to most of us who are the audience for the right wing blogs and sites. All of these judgements are extremely subjective and it definitely matters whose ox is being gored but there are some good points being raised. It’s the nature of modern web commerce that drama increases web traffic and so we get a lot of drama. But attacking each other turns it into a zero sum game where someone wins and someone loses. That doesn’t build a community. I guess the question comes down to what the right wing web presence will look like in the future. And it’s an important question. Twitter, Facebook and YouTube are shutting down conservative content providers and Google has demonstrated its willingness to selectively hide right wing content. Assuming that nothing changes another method for promoting right wing messages and businesses will be needed. With respect to this I have a little bit of interesting data. I tried out Google AdWords for about a year. I determined that the clicks from that source had an almost 100% bounce rate and almost never returned. So chances are they are click-farm zombie hits. And this highlights the necessity for growing our own stuff and supporting an ecosystem on the right. This will require a certain amount of cooperation and also a reasonable amount of tolerance for people with at least slightly different ideologies. I see the bickering and purity tests as counterproductive. I don’t espouse locking hands and singing kumbaya with the SJWs but I don’t think there is any danger of that anyway. I think that attacking people who are more or less on our side is slowing down the coalescing of a consensus that is occurring on the right. What seems to be missing is a framework that allows all these disparate elements to engage and allow for synergy. I imagine the Republican party should be that framework except it’s not. It’s part of the problem instead. It’s more or less occupied territory. I’d say we need a new party except that’s a recipe for disaster. What’s needed is a cultural/commercial enterprise to give the right a space to interact. The closest thing I can think of is a right wing version of Amazon. That’s a tall order. Maybe Peter Thiel could get to work on it. In the meantime we all should do our part to support anything that halfway looks like a step in the right direction. But boy it’s hard to find.
Fifty years into this egregious bout of cultural devolution it is probably worth analyzing what we’ve learned. What seems clear is that the leaders of the supposed pillars of the old regime have proven themselves almost completely useless at withstanding the onslaught of the forces of dissolution. A closer examination of how this conflict proceeds demonstrates that these supposed leaders don’t actually care about the values of their institutions. Their primary motivation is maintaining their positions and prestige. They are completely comfortable with compromising their morals and even the legitimacy of their organizations if doing so will extend their places in the hierarchy. This has allowed almost unlimited damage to be done to the structure of human culture. It has been responsible for plummeting birth rates, widespread divorce and the crumbling of families. It also has contributed to an enormous increase in mental illness and depression. It is hard to imagine that the continuation of this trend for even a very short time won’t prove fatal to our people and way of life.
Looking around I see that several groups and individuals have begun to produce strategies and tactics to allow both offensive and defensive activities.
- Right wing blogs provide articles and discussion on who the enemy is and what tactics work best against them. A good example is Vox Day’s excellent book “SJWs Always Lie.”
- These same websites also act as news sources that allow you to bypass the mainstream media.
- On the religious side Rod Dreher wrote his book “The Benedict Option” to awaken orthodox believers to the severity of the problem and provide information on support organizations and tactics to protect families and educate kids on what it means to be a conservative Christian.
- Donald Trump provided us with a concrete example of what it means to expose the sell-outs in the republican party and call out the liars in the main stream media and get your message out there by social media and your own websites.
- Grassroots activism coordinated by some of the right-wing pundits and more prominent individuals can push back against thugs paid for by Soros and other progressive bankrollers.
- And finally, it becomes important to start building alternate structures to bypass the ones completely infested with progressives. Once again Vox Day has taken the lead with a publishing company that seeks out non-progressive authors. In addition to the science fiction and fantasy books that are the staple of Castalia House his company also produces books of interest to people on the right wing. He started up Infogalactic as an alternative to Wikipedia. And other individuals are building non-progressive structures too. Gab was started as an alternative to Twitter and Brave is an alternative browser that isn’t slanted to the left like Google.
Looking at this situation gives a mixed impression. Something like Trump winning the presidency and possessing majorities in the House, Senate and Supreme Court should be a reason for great hope and enthusiasm. But progress is sporadic and push back from the Deep State and the press is insanely vicious. The contrast in strength between the rich and powerful progressive institutions like the colleges and other schools, Hollywood and the Media against the tiny fledgling conservative websites and other businesses is staggering. And yet, being able to read free thoughts and express your own opinion is intoxicating.
What seems apparent is that the odds are daunting. But what also seems true is that the news black-out against our side is no longer as effective as before. Word is starting to get out. When Steve Bannon goes from Breitbart News to the White House change is definitely happening.
So, what I think can be said is that the road is a very long one. But the first few steps have been taken and the direction is known. My advice is link up with the others out there who are against the progressives. Remember that the enemy of your enemy is your ally. Don’t get into battles over our differences. Look to form ties to like-minded folks. But beware those in the republican party who attack Trump and say we must be “fair.” What they mean is kowtow to the politically correct nonsense that gives the progressives the whip hand.
And support any of these alternative structures that are formed. They need your help, patronage and encouragement. And if you can build anything of your own do it. If you have a talent or a knowledge base use it. And don’t get discouraged. It took half a century to get us in this mess. We won’t clean it up in a year or even a few but we can start to build a new foundation for a better world. And we can annoy the hell out of a lot of snowflakes, so there is that.