So, the Trumpocalypse came to pass, as foreseen by the Alt-Right. Some will argue that he got lucky, that he was just as likely to choke and lose as badly as a mainstream republican like JEB!. Possibly, but I don’t think so. Reading the reasons that the Alt-Right give for Trump’s success I think they have identified some very important facts:
- There was a pool of white voters that felt unrepresented by both the democrats and republicans. These were the so-called Reagan Democrats who stopped voting after 1988. They were forgotten by George Bush Senior and didn’t like what either the democrats or the republicans were doing to the heartland. They were abandoned by the corporations who used globalization as a way to access cheap labor in Mexico and other developing countries. This stayed the same under Clinton, Bush Junior and Obama.
- The Progressives have successfully moved forward an agenda over the course of the last fifty years that is aimed at progressively disadvantaging and demonizing white people in general and straight white men in particular. To achieve this, affirmative action laws and the progressives in the media and education were used to incrementally deprive them of opportunities and dignity. The narrative of female and minority oppression at the hands of straight white men was endlessly reinforced on television, in the movies, in the news, at school and by government agencies that enforced these discriminatory practices.
- The Democrats were endeavoring to bring in enough Illegal immigrants to ensure that white Americans would no longer be a majority of voters. This would allow them to easily remove the parts of the Constitution (freedom of speech and right to bear arms) that interfere with them permanently controlling the country.
- And finally, the Republican Establishment, from Bush Senior on, was complicit in this immigrant plan as a way of providing cheap labor for their crony capitalist friends. In addition, they were allowing these corporations to shut down all major industrial activity in the US and move it to the third world (China). This was the so-called new world order of Bush Senior.
The only one of these that is at all surprising is the last. It had always seemed perplexing that Bush Junior was unable to achieve any conservative reform during his first term when he had a virtual mandate from heaven to do as he pleased and which Congress would rubber stamp. He lowered some taxes but that was for his corporate friends more than for anyone else. All his other efforts were indistinguishable from progressive programs. Now it seems clear to me that the Bushes, McCain, Romney and most of the rest of them are identical to the Democrats. They use fear of progressive control to get themselves re-elected every few years but they are much more interested in their own careers and the connections they cultivate in office than in helping to conserve the way of life that is systematically under attack from their friends on the other side of the aisle.
On all these points, I am now in unanimity with the Alt-Right. Beyond this is where I differ.
Many (if not all) on the Alt-Right feel that racial differences preclude modern America from going forward as a united country. They predict that the US will splinter into separate racial homelands with descendants of the British colonists self-segregating themselves into one nation and other groups dividing up along ethnic lines. They state that a propositional nation based on rights and equal treatment will not last and shouldn’t.
They believe this will be sparked when white people become a minority in the US and revolt at the treatment they receive at the hands of the minority majority. In their estimation, this would have preceded more quickly if Trump had lost the election. They see a Trump administration as a band-aid and a delay before the inevitable revolt. They believe that the other ethnic groups and their allies in the sexual grievance communities (women, the various sexual deviants) will push white men too far and they will secede from the country.
So here we are. I will be the first to admit that much that they say about our present situation is accurate. And I’d be the last to deny that the treatment of white men in the last fifty years has been outrageous.
From my point of view, the leftists have followed a strategy that will divide this country in much the same way Yugoslavia disintegrated. This is a truly frightening possibility. The misery and destruction such a conflict would represent is hard to overestimate. When you consider the possibility of outside forces getting involved, the scope of the disaster could be virtually apocalyptic even on a global scale.
But I shy away from the idea that people can’t exist under a government that treats its people impartially. To this end I tried to envision what changes to our government would forestall this rupture of the American people. Here they are:
- The recognized status of the family uniquely defined as a man and a woman producing and raising children.
- The elimination of government interference with parents raising their children as they see fit.
- The elimination of affirmative action or protected status in any government law or program based on race, gender, sexual orientation or any other discriminatory factor.
- The elimination of government interference to free association. This includes any forced association by government decree.
- The elimination of automatic citizenship to the children of non-citizens.
- The curtailment of all but minimal immigration for the foreseeable future.
I believe that if these changes were made to the government, normalcy would be restored. Of course, seeing these kinds of changes initiated would require action by the three branches of the government well beyond any effective action seen since the Great Society legislation of the 1960s. So, it’s hard to see how this will happen. And although I am unhappy with the Alt-Rights vision of the future, I don’t think I can dismiss it as unrealistic. Based on the wide-ranging disruptions occurring every day around the world it’s a bold man who would preclude almost anything as impossible. So, that’s where things stand.
I admit to the accuracy of the Alt-Right’s assessment of what is going on in the world right now. I hope that they’re wrong about the fate of our country. I think I see what changes would improve our union. And I don’t have a sense of how likely it is that we’ll fix these problems. Time will tell. In the meantime I’ll enjoy the spectacle of the Trumpocalypse for as long as I can.