Previously I have alluded to the theory that President Trump was playing a very high stakes game of chicken with Robert Mueller. Extending that theory to all the latest news on all the various swamp creatures being heard from in the last few days, I now think that the November Election is the crucial event around which all these machinations revolve. And I think there are only a few scenarios that are likely.
- President Trump and Robert Mueller reach the election day with nothing but more of the same type of low level revelations and rhetoric. Immediately following the election President Trump will terminate the Special Counsel mandate. This will be followed by one of two actions:
- Mueller does nothing and slinks back into the shadows
- Mueller leaks some bombshell revelation and gives a press conference. A firestorm ensues.
- President Trump doesn’t wait for the mid-terms but terminates Mueller and goes public with a series of allegations against the swamp and begins a series of indictments against them. This scenario would need to happen fairly soon to allow the public time to absorb the information he wants to get out before the November elections.
- Mueller doesn’t wait but goes for an October surprise. He subpoenas President Trump in October and leaks damaging information to the press. President Trump fires him and a fire storm ensues.
- Mueller ends his investigation in early September as the President wants. No follow up action from either side.
These are my guesses as the most likely scenarios for where we are heading. Feel free to share your thoughts in the comments.