Guest Contributor – TomD – 06FEB2019 Photo

Welcome and thanks to long time reader, now Guest Contributor  TomD.  Link below to this photo on his site.  Just great.

When it comes to just absolute work to make a shot, this one (the whole series) was at my absolute top for me. Maybe not as bad as someone waiting silent for hours in a scorching hot blind waiting for the perfect bird shot but plenty of work.

To me, the water drops look like little spaceships.

8 thoughts on “Guest Contributor – TomD – 06FEB2019 Photo

• February 6, 2019 at 3:13 pm

I like a lot of slow-mo or stop action that “Doc” Edgerton did, too. The pioneer in the genre.

• February 6, 2019 at 7:13 pm

I’m glad Tom picked this photo to highlight. There are many techniques in photography that I haven’t tried and I like to widen the categories to more than my small repertoire.

• February 6, 2019 at 8:06 pm

Your pics of the barred owl were very good. I like raptors of all sorts. The fact that I can drive around and usually see at least one, and usually several hawks, does my heart good. Especially when I remember as a lad in elementary school in the 50s that if you saw a red tail hawk, it was so special an event that you wrote a school theme about it.

• February 6, 2019 at 8:49 pm

Yeah, the hawks are everywhere now. Last week Camera Girl saw a kestrel (so she says) take down a chickadee at our bird feeder. Sort of freaked her out.

• February 7, 2019 at 6:27 am

I was at Eglin AFB in Florida. An old USMC comrade from Vietnam had switched to the USAF and was retiring as a Chief Master Sergeant. We were standing about three feet apart, talking. On one side were barracks, on the others a few pine trees. Eglin is infested with two animals, red tail hawks and squirrels. The hawks are protected and the GIs tend to feed the squirrels. Both animals are quite used to humans.

As we talked a squirrel was hanging nose down on a pine tree about 5 feet off the ground, chattering at us. All of a sudden a hawk flew down, did a 90 degree rotation so his wings were pointing up and down, flew between us and picked the squirrel off the tree as clean as could be. He had flown down, using us as camouflage. When he rotated 90 degrees it was like an airplane flying between two close buildings in a cartoon. All of a sudden there was a flash of brown, white and red and we both looked as he picked off his squirrel and carried it away.

My buddy said; “Wow! Did you see that!?”

“See it? If he had been any closer his talons would have taken off my nose! Just like an F-16 latching onto a MIG.”

True story. One of the thrills I’ll take to the grave. Magnificent animal. Smart and bold. Mr Squirrel didn’t stand a chance. There was just, and I mean JUST enough room for him to rotate wings vertical and pass between us. He flew a perfect attack pattern. A few inches either way and he’d have crashed into one of us at about 70 MPH.

• February 7, 2019 at 7:05 am

There’s perfection all around. You just have to have your eyes open. Just like the spherical drops in that picture. But you need the time to think about it.

• February 9, 2019 at 8:46 am

I live close enough to Eglin to hear the *thump* from the bombing ranges on a quite night.

• February 9, 2019 at 10:09 pm

Tom:
      Did you see the e-mail address?