Equity Means Punishing the Gifted

Virginia plans to eliminate opportunities for mathematically gifted students to advance before their less intelligent peers.  What they want to do is eliminate the varying mathematical subject matter courses and have everyone in the same class.  So in 10th grade in the same class the same teacher will try and have some of the smarter kids doing algebra and geometry and the kids who really don’t understand math at all will be cutting and pasting together collages with the names and pictures of female and minority mathematicians who prove that we’re all equally mathematically gifted and so they’ll also get a passing mark.  That’s brilliant.  Meanwhile all the smart kids that have parents that care about them will be pulled out of public high school by their parents and sent to private school to get an actual education.  And everyone else will be reduced to lowest common denominator education.

It’s good that they’re so open about their plans.  It makes it much easier to plan how to protect yourself and your family from equity.  If you have a grade school kid who can do algebra and trig in sixth grade can you imagine wasting five years of his education while his much less intelligent classmates and even teachers catch up to him?  Virginia has just sounded the death knell of their public education system.  It must be a proud moment for the Left.  Equity Means Punishing the Gifted.

5 1 vote
Article Rating
Notify of
guest
11 Comments
Oldest
Newest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
TomD77
20 days ago

I saw that today too. But it’s consistent, hasn’t the hard left/communism always been about reducing everyone (except the anointed) to the lowest common denominator?

War Pig
War Pig
20 days ago

I was lucky enough to have gifted classes in my high school. I was still kept back though as you could not take American Government until your senior year and you must take it to get a diploma. My time was spent mostly at the local community college, taking college level math. All I had at high school was one boring class and the rest study halls. I took my one class first thing in the morning then left for the community college. I had an associate’s in math the same year I graduated high school. I realized later that… Read more »

War Pig
War Pig
20 days ago
Reply to  photog

When I realized I could do artillery/mortar corrections in my head. And then also when working as a sniper. The data came into my brain and the solution came out. I don’t know how I did it, I just did. I could do the mortar corrections when working in the pit and send the rounds out faster than using the calculators. As a sniper, for the longer shots of a thousand meters on out, you have to take into consideration differing altitudes of target and sniper, winds between you and the target, and if you’re shooting east/west, you have to… Read more »

Neil M. Dunn
Neil M. Dunn
20 days ago

Russia and China are probably very happy that we are making “equity” an achievable priority = equal IQs for all.

TomD77
19 days ago
Reply to  Neil M. Dunn

Yeah, but the “equal” IQ’s will end up functionally at the 85-90 level.

In a SF story in 1950, C. M Kornbluth wrote a story, “The Marching Morons”.

Neil M. Dunn
Neil M. Dunn
20 days ago

California has its own way of implementing a Bill Gates math program of “equity”.

Would love your thoughts, please comment.x
x