Since the early 1970’s I have been a witness to the devolution of the United States of America. By all measurable objective standards, the cultural, intellectual, moral, financial and psychological well-being of this once great nation has declined.
Unsurprisingly there are some aspects of life that have shown innovation. We have computers and cellular phones. And that’s about it.
This process has proceeded in waves. The first big wave was in the 1960’s and ‘70’s. During this period the youth culture rebelled against all the moral and social norms and introduced such wonders of modern progress as widescale drug addiction, mass produced pornography and drug resistant STD’s. It was the dawning of the Age of Aquarius or something.
As the 1970’s waned the counterculture became passe and the hippies became yuppies and went to work on Wall Street to catch up on the decade they spent stoned. But the contingent of hippies that were too lazy to work for a living stayed on campus and became the next generation of academia. And there they stayed to inculcate the following generations in such useful pursuits as post-modern analysis, deconstructionism, various waves of feminism, liberation theory, queer theory, Africana studies, Non-Western Cultural studies and whatever other nonsense they could make up on the fly.
And now the seeds that those cretins planted in the minds of our children have sprouted and we now have the woke generation. And they have inherited the earth. They are the target audience for all the tendrils of the on-line community. Their sensibilities determine what YouTube and Facebook and Twitter will allow to be said and heard. And it is this sensibility that has driven the changes that we have seen in the last fifteen years.
Over the course of the last sixty years or so we’ve seen the world get steadily crazier. Illegal aliens have sanctuary cities and states where federal laws aren’t obeyed and where these people are given government assistance of various kinds and even allowed to have a driver’s license and allowed to vote. Generations of families live on welfare payments and never work. Anti-constitutional programs like affirmative action and laws for things like hate speech exist in defiance of the basic rights of Americans under the Constitution. Whole groups of people have been proclaimed “protected classes” and provided with administrative regulations and laws that ensure that they are advantaged over everyone else. These are the things we’ve grown used to over the decades. They’re outrageous but they have become the baseline that we expect.
But let’s look at what has happened in the last few years:
- Marriage has been redefined to include two men or two women. This includes the right for these people to adopt and raise children.
- Men can declare themselves women and women can declare themselves men (transgender). And anyone who denies these declarations will be punished, sometimes criminally, for these beliefs. Even failing to refer to these people by their preferred “pronouns” is grounds for arrest in some jurisdictions.
- Children as young as toddlers can be coached by teachers to say that they are transgender and this alone will be enough for a court to mandate that the child be started on drug regimens and surgery to transition this child into the other “gender.”
- Because George Floyd, a violent black career criminal, died while under arrest, the police across the country are no longer allowed to arrest black criminals for almost any reason. As an example, the Manhattan district attorney has declared that no crime less serious than murder or violent assault will be prosecuted. Theft, simple assault, carjacking, sexual battery and almost anything else you can think of will be ignored by the prosecutors and the perpetrators will be released back onto the streets. Shoplifting at a ruinous level is bankrupting all types of retail stores in cities.
- During the George Floyd “protests,” local, state and federal law enforcement allowed mobs of violent rioters to loot stores, assault and even kill innocent people and burn down property with complete immunity.
- Local, state and federal governments have propagandized the populations in a mantra that declares that “Black lives matter” (BLM). This maxim has been clarified to mean that it is incorrect to assume that all lives matter. And basically, since we see that black lives are being lost on the street every day to black criminals, what BLM means is that black criminal behavior against non-black people is fully protected.
- The normalization of Critical Race Theory (CRT) in not only colleges but even K-12 history and social studies programs.
- The universal adoption of equity, diversity and inclusion principles in corporate and government organizing structures and practices. This is the abandonment of equal protection guarantees under the Constitution.
- Election fraud by Democrats is protected behavior.
- Government authority in “emergencies” like COVID is unlimited in both scope and duration even when it contradicts constitutional rights.
- Government surveillance of US citizens is as a practical matter unchecked.
- Social media and e-commerce companies can and will exclude anyone who does not comply with “woke” requirements around speech and behavior even if these events occur off of their platforms. This extends to virtual exclusion from banking and other necessary accommodations of modern life.
Looking at the scope and severity of these latest changes and how they violate the spirit and the substance of all the important norms of our society previous to these last few years I have to say that we have now reached a point where if there isn’t a substantive reaction that not only halts but reverses all these changes then I’ll have to conclude that the United States is a lost cause.
Any nation that negates all of its principles and even despises the identity of its majority population is no longer a nation. It is a slaughterhouse of its own people comparable to what Stalin and Pol Pot unleashed on the Russian and Cambodian people respectively. Only in America it is done subtly. Instead of the gulag and the death camp, it is cancel culture. We don’t murder you. We indoctrinate you to murder your own descendants through cancellation. No families, no children no future. You hate your ancestors because they were racists and misogynists and polluters of the earth. As penance you agree to forego family, careers and any future.
We’ll be able to see very easily if this will turn around. If any state successfully reverses all of these things despite the attacks by the federal government, then that would be a sign of hope. If some geographic area inside the United States becomes a haven for normal Americans to live their lives the way their parents and grandparents did then that would be a sign of hope. If not then we’re done. And those of us who care might as well start looking for a new place to live.
I sometimes run a purely mental “what if”: What if I time traveled back to my 1966 Senior high school class and tried to get them to understand the future. First, I’d really wow them with a few examples of 2022 technology, the phones, flat TV’s, GPS, the cars, etc. But then I’d say that the average vehicle costs in the mid-$40K range on average. In the-mid 60’s in north Metro Atlanta, that was the cost of a far above average house, on Riverside Dr, where the current lots, if you can find one, go for the millions. The specter… Read more »